March is one of the most stressful months in the lives of a college or university applicant.
Thousands of students have recently received admissions decisions with more on their way. Many have been admitted to their top choice institutions and not admitted to others. Many have been placed on the waitlist, with the question what do I need to do if next to be offered a spot.
- Read the waitlist letter carefully. Many applicants read the first few sentences of the waitlist letter for email message but do not read the entire letter. Take a step back and review the information provided. Applicants are waitlisted for a variety of reasons, so review the steps/information the institutions is seeking before making a decision on your application.
- Respond to the waitlist letter. If you decide to stay on the waitlist, contact the college and speak with your admissions officer. Follow up with a detailed letter providing the admissions committee with reasons why you are a good fit and why you want to attend.
- Provide requested/updated information. If you plan to stay on the waitlist, submitted updated information. Forward an updated transcript/testing to your admissions officer for inclusion in your application. If you have received an award(s), scholarship, grant(s) or have begun a new job or project, send an update to your admissions officer. Each substantive piece of information can help.
- Plan visits to the colleges you have been admitted. If you have been admitted to other colleges/universities, visit or revisit the campuses. Speak to students, faculty and staff to see if you still feel as if the college still fits.
- If you decided to attend another college, remove yourself from the waitlist. Once you decide to attend another college, contact your admissions officer and remove yourself from the waitlist. This information will be helpful to the college as they manage their waitlist activity.
Determining your future can seem like the most important decision you will ever make. It is important that you make the decision that fits you best. We can assist you as you navigate this process.